Chinese Seasons

|

When is Late Summer. There are 5 Chinese Seasons. I am trying to figure out the dates for each season for 2015. Is there another calendar I should be looking at.

Respectfully:

May You Interest

4 Answer(s)

|  
Hi Charles,

There are four seasons in China. I never heard there are five.

The time division for the four seasons is as follows:

Spring: from March to May
Summer: from June to August
Autumn: from September to November
Winter: from December to February of the next year.
  |  
The 5 seasons relate to the 5 Chinese elements Spring is wood (liver), Summer is fire (heart), Late Summer is earth (spleen), Autumn is metal(lungs) and Winter is water (kidney). I am trying to find the corresponding calendar dates for each of these seasons.

Respectfully:
  |  
I got it.

Late Summer is the fifth season. In fact, in Chinese calendar, there is no such a season. Only four exist.

I checked it online and found it's associated with the Earth element and a time that is distinct from both summer and autumn. It is a season of harvest. Some regard the season as the transition period between each of the other four seasons. Few people know the season around me.
  |  
Thanks for looking into this for me. It is greatly appreciated. I had come up with two possibilities in my research. One was an extra month between summer and autumn with each season having about 73 days. The other was a two to three week period at the end of each of the four normal seasons. I was just looking to see if one was more correct than the other to be used in a 5 element Qigong class I am developing. Again, thank you for your time in this matter

Reply This Question

Please Sign Up or Sign In to reply this question.