Color is everywhere and it affects us all the time. How can we use colors correctly in house Feng Shui to pursue good fortune, avoid disaster and bring us good luck? Generally, we should abide by the following five principles:
1. Conforming to the Element of the House Owner
The colors conform to the five elements of the house owner are beneficial to the owner's luck. In general, if the owner’s lucky element is fire, the suitable color will be red, purple, etc.; if the owner’s lucky element is wood, the suitable color will be green, light blue, etc.; if the owner’s lucky element is water, the suitable color will be black, dark blue, etc.; if metal is the owner’s lucky element, the suitable color will be white, golden, etc.; if earth is the owner’s lucky element, the suitable color will be yellow, gray, etc.
2. Distinguishing the Primary and the Secondary
Yang is the primary while Yin is the secondary. Distinguishing the primary and the secondary is required to balance the Yin and Yang in the house Feng Shui. Generally speaking, this principle in color Feng Shui mainly includes two aspects: firstly, a house shall have only one primary color which shall account for at least 50% of the entire house decoration color; secondly, the primary color shall cover at least the living room and the master bedroom.
→ Please click Color Taboos in Feng Shui to check which colors could be used as primary colors and which should be avoided.
3. Generation among Five Elements
This principle means that the secondary or matching colors which have the mutual generation effect with the primary color shall be chosen. For example, if the primary color is green which belongs to wood in five elements, the red or blue series can be chosen since both red and blue belong to fire which generates wood. The principle of Generation among Five Elements embodies the flow of five elements in Feng Shui, which is beneficial to the energy flow of the owner. Therefore, the owner will be full of vitality and have good luck.
Each Feng Shui element is represented by some specific colors:
Metal: White, Apricot, Golden
Wood: Cyan, Green
Water: Black, Blue
Fire: Red, Purple
Earth: Yellow, Brown
Generating and Controlling Cycle of Fiver Elements:
● The Generating Cycle: Wood makes Fire burn; Fire creates Earth; Earth bears Metal; Off of Metal runs the Water; Water makes Wood grow.
● The Controlling Cycle: Fire melts Metal; Metal chops down Wood; Wood breaks the Earth; Earth soaks up Water and blocks its flow; Water controls Fire.
Color Match Theory:
|Main Colors||Matching Colors|
|Green, Cyan||Blue, Black, Red, Purple, Yellow, Brown|
|Red, Purple||Green, Cyan, Yellow, Brown, White, Apricot, Golden|
|Yellow, Brown||Red, Purple, White, Apricot, Golden, Blue, Black|
|White, Apricot, Golden||Yellow, Brown, Black, Blue, Green, Cyan|
|Blue, Black||White, Apricot, Golden, Green, Cyan, Red, Purple|
The application and matching of colors based on five elements have been in people's life since ancient times:
● Forbidden City: the walls are in red while the glazed tiles above and the top of many palaces are in yellow, reflecting the generation between fire (red) and earth (yellow) in five elements. After hundreds of years, the Forbidden City still stands majestically.
● Swastika: it consists of red, white and black. In terms of five elements, it violates the principle of Generation among Five Elements: fire (red) is incompatible to metal (white); water (black) is incompatible to fire (red). The Nazism was perverse, ruthless and tyrannical, thus perished finally.
4. Light Heaven & Dark Earth
Light heaven creates the spacious feeling while dark earth symbolizes steadiness. The heaven is a symbol of career, so the light heaven is a symbol of the hopeful and promising career; the earth is a symbol of foundation, so the dark earth is a symbol of the solid and long-term career foundation. If the heaven is dark while the earth is light, it will be like the top-heavy people, thus inharmonious and full of negative energy. In color Feng Shui, light heaven refers to the light and simple color while dark earth refers to the dignified and dark color. In Chinese Feng Shui, ceiling is the heaven, floor is the earth and wall means the human. The ceiling shall use the lightest color and the floor shall be in the color darker than the ceiling; otherwise, people living in the house will put the incidental before the fundamental in work. The walls shall use the color darker than the ceiling but lighter than the floor.
5. Cool Up & Warm Down
As is known to all, color generally can be divided into warm and cool ones. Cool belongs to Yin, so the cool air is sinking; warm belongs to Yang, so the warm air is rising. The principle of Cool Up & Warm Down means Yin up and Yang down to form the perennial effect of sinking cool air and rising warm air.